Super Awesome Wedding Fest Apalooza

be there or be square

Monday, June 16, 2008

Because if I have to wear uncomfortable shoes, so do you!

Jon and I picked out tuxedos on Saturday.

We shall not be renting them from the Men's Wearhouse, as we were both thoroughly underwhelmed by their service and selection. I'm sure they're not all the same (then again ... they probably are) but they didn't have actual tuxes to show us, just a catalogue - which I had already looked at online. They did have samples of the vests/ties/bow-ties, but accessories be damned, if you ask me. Doesn't matter if Jon has the most beautiful vest on if he picked the wrong tux from the catalogue (a double-breasted pin-stripe suite on Jon: I think not).

Thus we are renting our tuxes from Classic Tuxedos. They have locations all over New England, but we went to the Boston location on Newbury Street (yes, aren't we posh?) for our appointment. They have an entire store of tuxes - and they let you try them on. Wow.

The chocolate brown Calvin Kline tux was $160 plus tax to rent. As that was about $50 more than the bridesmaids' dresses, I thought that was unfair. And Jon is a cheapskate as well, so no hunky men in chocolate brown tuxes (I was informed, though, that my choice was at the very forefront of fashion - and let me add that the Men's Wearhouse will not be offering a chocolate brown tux until late fall).

Jon chose a basic 2-button tux with a notch lapel cut in the American style. He and the dads will wear a black vest and bow tie (Jon was very insistant on the bow tie .... I thought a regular tie would have been OK for our "casually formal" event). The groomsmen will wear a chocolate brown vest (I can't be sure I've chosen the right swatch color from, the online catalogue... but trust me, in person it's the right shade of brown!) and tie. Both colors will be in a herringbone-pattened material, which looks quite snazzy (see swatches).

No comments: