Super Awesome Wedding Fest Apalooza

be there or be square

Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm Ready for My Close Up

Tuesday night's trip to meet photographer John Heymann was a misadventure with a happy ending.

Jon agreed with me that John's photos are beautiful, and John is going to be wonderfully cooperative with our tiny budget, so it's going to work out swimmingly.

Getting to John's office was another matter.

Since Jon was working from home on Tuesday, I left him in charge of the "how are we getting to Somerville" question. Many convoluted conversations later, we decided that I would take the Red Line to Porter Square and walk a few blocks. John would drive there, and we would all live happily ever after.

The Red Line was so crowded that I couldn't get a hand on anything for balance, so I practiced subway surfing - feet planted firmly in the aisle, and concentrated zen-like on staying up right and not knocking over a whole subway car-load full of passengers. I did very well. Yoga pays off!

I emerged at Porter Square and walked quite happily up Upland Street until I reached Raymond Street. When I got to the house/office, though, it was dark, there wasn't a sign, or anything - in fact the only thing visible was a sticker of a crossed out handgun. Well, good, I thought ... he's anti-fire arms. Still, I thought this was odd.

So I called Mom (what would I do without Mom?) and asked her to Google John Heymann and make sure I was in the right place (what would I do without Google?).

Turns out I was supposed to be at Raymond Avenue, which is Somerville (where I thought I was) and not at Raymond Street in North Cambridge (which is where I really was).

In the meantime, Jon was stuck in traffic, and then he took a wrong turn and was thus lost.

Great.

So I had to call John-the-Photographer and explain our misadventure. He very nicely insisted that we come anyway instead of rescheduling. Jon found his way, and then both Jo(h)n's picked me up from the Davis Square T Stop.

Whew.

After that everything went smoothly. We haven't signed the contract yet, but as far as we're concerned we've got one more John involved in the wedding.

No comments: