Super Awesome Wedding Fest Apalooza

be there or be square

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Is There a Fire Fighter in the House?

I'm all about safety and not burning buildings to the ground, but - honestly - sometimes you can get carried away with precautions.

Jon and I decided we wanted a unity candle ceremony. It's pretty and symbolic - and yes, there's a tiny flame involved.
Apparently, strictly speaking, The City of Boston does not allow "open flames" (oh my god! a lit candle!) in any buildings without a fireman on guard or complicated, hard-to-find-self-extinguishing-wear-little-hats-candles.
Give me a break. Last time I checked, most churches use candles. Are they exempt due to a God clause or something?

HOWEVER, all is not lost.

Jon and I considered replacing the unity candle ceremony with an interpretive dance accompanied by Enya, but Rich-the-event-guy says we can get away with it.
Hey, I'm willing to light it and then blow it out. I don't care. I decide when the symbolism begins and ends after all. This is not an eternal flame (The Bangles, anyone?)

Hooray for reason and good sense. And for Rich-the-event-guy. He's awesome.

No comments: